Over the last few years there is no question that the Labour government have overseen a striking de-Christianisation of our country. Told by his spin doctor that he could not “do God”, Blair then Brown have seen fit to pass a series of laws that either directly contradict Christian principles, or have components that have helped to further exclude Christians from the public square. I am convinced that we cannot afford another five years of Brown. We Christians risk finding ourselves genuinely persecuted and discriminated against in the name of “tolerance.” Although the recent abusive Foreign Office memo about the Pope’s visit does not represent official Labour pollicy, it does reflect the culture that they have been allowing to form, which is increasingly aggressive and dismissive towards Christians.
The Christian Institute has published a briefing document that tracks Labour’s record in office and the positions of major other parties on these issues. They try and list the facts without making an opinion clear, so the opinions in this post are mine alone, while the facts are indisputable. So for example Labour has:
- Whipped their MPs to support the Human Fertilization and Embryology Act.
- Introduced various equality legislation without considering the needs of churches and individual Christians for exemptions from certain provisions. For example, we are not far from a church being forced to employ pastoral workers who do not believe the church’s doctrine, and registrars are already legally compelled to conduct homosexual civil unions, even if their religious beliefs preclude them from doing so, or be fired.
- Passed a law to permit people to change the gender on their birth certificate without any right for a potential marriage partner to know whether someone was born as a man or woman.
- Massively deregulated the gambling industry
- Downgraded cannabis despite evidence it can trigger psychosis
- Repealed the blasphemy laws
- Allowed 24/hour drink licenses
- Continues to ban Christians from owning some type of TV and radio stations
Vowed in their manifesto to repeal a “free speech” amendment that conservative peeers forced onto the “hate crimes” legislation. Repealing this amendment could mean that a preaher who said that he believed the Bible says sex should be within marriage only would be imprisoned. This pledge could mark the end of centuries of Christian liberty in Britain if Brown was to return to power. So quite simply a vote for Brown is a vote for persecution of Christians. Our freedom of religion is at stake.